Nutrition refers to the process by which human beings consume food and use it for various bodily functions. These include cell growth, metabolism, and the repair of muscle fibers. Proper nutrition is just as critical for professional athletes as the quality of their training. This is because their food provides them with the energy source necessary to perform their sporting activities. It impacts their strength, performance, and the ability of their muscle fibers to recover after exercising. These sportspersons need to understand maintaining a healthy diet is not enough. The times during which they eat their nutritious meals throughout the day affect their performance levels and recovery.
Menos Hiras – What are the benefits of a properly nutritious diet for professional athletes?
Menos Hiras is a political science student from New Jersey who aspires to be a lawyer after graduating. He is an ardent sports lover who enjoys playing football and basketball. He explains professional athletes generally spend long hours training for upcoming sporting tournaments. Proper nutrition plays a vital role in ensuring these sportspersons optimize the benefits from their workouts. The diet they can consume should contain enough essential nutrients to promote proper muscle growth and recovery. Only then can they increase the duration and intensity of their workouts without suffering from fatigue. The benefits of having anutritious diet for professional athletes preparing for major sporting tournaments are as follows:
- Prevents the onset of injuries,
- Strengthens their immune system,
- Minimizes muscle soreness during and after the workouts,
- Increases energy levels,
- Assists in muscle recovery, and
- Enhances concentration.
Professional athletes should even ensure the diet they consume throughout the dayis sufficient to:
- Provide the energy they need to satisfy the demands of their workouts,
- Enable them to maintain an optimum bodyweight necessary to enhance their performance, and
- Provide their bodies with enough fluids to ensure optimal hydration before, during, and after the exercises.
Diet for professional athletes
Professional athletes should consider the following factors when preparing a nutritious meal plan which will boost their performance:
- More than half of the energy they need for performing their exercises should come from consuming carbohydrates,
- The diet should contain sufficient amounts of protein necessary to re-build their muscle fibers,
- Milk is one of the best drinks to have after a workout as it contains casein, calcium and whey protein,
- Avoid eating food containing high sugar and starch levels within 30 minutes of exercising as it causes rapid dehydration, and
- Drink adequate amounts of fluids every 10 minutes during an intense workout to avoid dehydration
Menos Hiras sums up by saying professional athletes should maintain a proper diet before, during, and after a workout. Only then can their bodies receive sufficient amounts of essential nutrients like vitamins, proteins, carbohydrates, and fats. This will boost their energy levels, repair the muscle fiber and prevent serious injuries during their workouts.
When planning such a diet, they should consult a reliable and experienced nutritionist. This expert will have the knowledge and skills to prepare a proper diet plan according to their specific needs for improved health and performance.